Why You Should Think Twice Before Cleaning Glasses with Your Clothing
It’s a common scenario: your glasses fog up or collect dust, and without a second thought, you reach for the hem of your shirt to give them a quick clean. While it seems convenient, using clothing to clean your glasses can do more harm than good. Let’s delve into why this seemingly harmless habit might be detrimental to your eyewear.
1. The Risk of Scratches
- Abrasive Fabrics: Even the softest clothing can contain microscopic fibers or particles that are abrasive to glasses. Regularly cleaning your lenses with your clothes can lead to fine scratches, gradually worsening clarity and vision quality.
2. Ineffective Cleaning
- Smearing Dirt and Oil: Clothes often transfer more dirt, oil, and debris onto the lens surfaces, smearing them rather than removing them. This can leave your glasses looking worse than before.
3. Damage to Lens Coatings
- Compromising Protective Layers: Many modern glasses come with special coatings, such as anti-reflective, UV protection, or scratch-resistant layers. Rubbing these delicate surfaces with clothing can strip away or damage these beneficial coatings over time.
4. Proper Cleaning Methods
- Microfiber Cloths: The safest way to clean your glasses is by using a microfiber cloth designed specifically for lenses. These cloths are gentle and effective at trapping particles without scratching the surface.
- Lens Cleaning Solutions: For a deeper clean, use a lens cleaning solution or simply mild soap and water. Spray the solution onto the lens or gently rinse them, then wipe away with a microfiber cloth.
5. Keeping Your Glasses in Top Condition
- Regular Maintenance: Beyond proper cleaning, regular maintenance by an optician can ensure your glasses are always in the best condition. They can professionally clean and adjust your glasses, checking for any damage or wear.
While cleaning your glasses with your clothes might seem like a quick fix, it’s a practice best avoided to protect your eyewear. Investing in a microfiber cloth and using appropriate cleaning solutions will keep your lenses clear and scratch-free, ensuring your glasses last longer and perform better. Remember, taking care of your glasses is an integral part of maintaining clear and comfortable vision.