Eyeglass cleaning cloths are essential accessories for maintaining the clarity of your lenses. Over time, these microfiber cloths can become dirty and less effective at cleaning your glasses. Can you clean your eyeglass cloth? Let’s find out.
Can You Clean an Eyeglass Cleaning Cloth?
Yes, you can clean your eyeglass cloth, and doing so can extend its usability. Here are some steps to clean it properly:
1. Shake Off Debris: Before washing, give your cloth a good shake to remove any loose dirt or debris. This prevents these particles from scratching your lenses during the cleaning process.
2. Hand Wash with Mild Detergent: Fill a basin or sink with lukewarm water and add a small amount of mild liquid detergent. Submerge the cleaning cloth and gently agitate it with your hands. Avoid using hot water, as it can damage the microfibers.
3. Rinse Thoroughly: Rinse the cloth thoroughly under cold, running water until all soap residues are removed. Be gentle to prevent fraying or damaging the microfibers.
4. Pat Dry: Lay the eyeglass cloth flat on a clean, lint-free surface, such as a towel or paper towel. Pat it dry with another clean cloth or towel. Avoid wringing or twisting the cloth, as this can damage the fibers.
5. Air Dry: Allow the cloth to air dry completely. Ensure it is entirely dry before using it again, as using a damp cloth can leave streaks on your glasses.
6. Avoid Fabric Softeners and Dryers: Do not use fabric softeners when washing your cloth, as they can leave residues that hinder its effectiveness. Never put the cloth in a dryer, as heat can damage the microfibers.
7. Store Properly: When not in use, store your eyeglass cloth in a clean, dry place, preferably in its protective pouch or case. This prevents it from collecting dust and dirt.
When to Replace Your Cloth:
Even with proper care, eyeglass cloths have a limited lifespan. If you notice visible signs of wear and tear, such as fraying or a significant decrease in cleaning effectiveness, it’s time to replace it. Replacement cloths are widely available and relatively inexpensive.
In conclusion, you can clean your eyeglass cleaning cloth to maintain its cleaning effectiveness and prolong its usability. By following these simple steps and avoiding fabric softeners and heat, you can keep your cloth in excellent condition, ensuring it continues to provide streak-free clarity for your eyeglasses.